Monday, November 23, 2009

Work The Plan


After leaving class on Monday last week, I felt good. My classmates & Professor Rock made me feel invincible. Especially when I announce to the class, I would be RETIRING in "2012". I got to thinking it will be 31 years of service that and I am happy to have served it. Then, it hit me that I have 22 more hours instead of 29 to complete my BA :).
The next day The UIC Early Outreach program called me & asked me to substitute this pass Saturday Nov. 21, 2009 for 7th graders. Wow!!!I was so overwhelm that I was speechless. OMG,imagine that!!! Did I do it?? You bet I did from 8:30am-12:30pm. What an experience that was. I could not believe, that I was not nervous, or afraid. I said a prayer & God delivered me.I went in that classroom like I had been teaching for years. I could not believe it myself. I had an activity for them for most of the class. I had them work on the packets of homework the teacher wanted them to do in the last 20 minutes of the class. I was nervous that I would not keep their interest but there was no problem in keeping their interest.. And, you know what everything was GREAT! I kept hearing Dr. Rock & one of the things she would always asked the class after doing an exercise. I asked "Why did I ask you all to do this exercise"? Their reply was "because you love us', because you want to get to know us", and I said Yes I do love you & care about each of you. They then asked if I could stay on and be their teacher from now on! I told them I'm sorry Ms. Padem would be back Dec. 5th. They all sighed (three classes) LOL. I found myself saying the same things Dr. Rock say" I know it's exciting, but I need you to hold it down. I had to asked them to be courtesy to their classmates & their substitute teacher.
So, Kudos to you Dr. Rock! I am going to really miss you here @UIC & I am overwhelm by the kindness & love you have shown to me over the years.
My Sunday night meeting with myself is to push forward to Dec. 12th and be the best I can be in the workshop for the 12th graders.

No comments:

Post a Comment