Sunday, October 18, 2009

Reaching Out II Part 2


These are the hands of my (2) football players! They were'nt so happy in posing for me but we got the job done after (5) takes.

I asked a friend of mine Professor Walker to grant me this interview on short notice & I really appreciate her giving it to me. I had almost forgot that she use to teach elementary students.

Trying to beat Cinderella’s clock sometimes is a little stressful. The problem is you think you have all this time & when you look up & your homework is due @ midnight. Kudos Professor Walker!

Thanks Professor Walker,
I really appreciate you giving me this interview on really such notice. My assignment was to interview someone that's doing the thing you wanted to do. However, I forgot you use to teach grade level & only remember that you were a college professor. That meant I couldn't interview you. However, since you did teach @elementary level & I began to think to myself with excitment you are re-qualified to give me this interview! I really appreciated that.

In addition, my goals when I graduated are to teach either 7th thru 12th grade. The Early Outreach program where my kids use to go has given me an opportunity to teach for 1 hour whatever level I choose. First, I need to shadow or observe the classrooms to give me a feel of which level I could better serve. Nevertheless, I need to come up with a lesson which is pretty scary for me.

Professor Walker’s Interview:
) In a perfect class, my students would be able to work independently.
-They would be excited about learning
-Their parents would be supportive partners in the education process
2) I would want them to know the foundational skills for the core subjects-i.e. reading/math
-they would need to know what is expected as far as appropriate behavior in the school environment
3) I would want to share with them a lifelong love of learning
- a desire to reach each individual's full potential
- a goal of completing college
4) I have felt supported when students learn and are able to apply what I taught them. Also, I have experienced students who I seen many, many years later and remember the good learning experiences they had in my classroom and thank me for them.
I have also been discouraged - After 13 years of teaching grades K-8, a career I have wanted since I was in 7th grade, I found myself burned out. The last year that I taught in elementary school was very stressful. Administrative demands, 32 second graders- 2 with special needs and no aide, parents with issues and three small children of my own all added up to burn out. My way of coping was to leave teaching and devote time to my family. This was the best decision for me and I have never regretted it. I didn't want to continue teaching if I could not give it my best.
8 years later, I returned to teaching at the college level. I now teach beginning teachers and am able to share my years of experience to help prepare them for their careers. I love teaching at this level and feel as though I am making a worthwhile contribution to the field of education.

I am not sure what your next steps are as I'm not sure where you are currently in the process. I can generally suggest that you map out the steps that you need to take to reach your goal and follow them. It also helps to share your goals with someone who can encourage you as you move towards your goal.
I hope that this helps.
Donna

No comments:

Post a Comment